What Is A Gummy Smile?
Most dentist will define a gummy smile as a smile showing anything over three to four millimeters of gum tissue. However, in some cases a gummy smile is subjective. Some patients may technically have the same amount of gum tissue, but other physical factors may affect how much the gum tissue shows.
What Causes A Gummy Smile?
There are many reasons why patients may develop a gummy smile; some of the common reasons being the following:
- The teeth have not fully or properly erupted, which leave them partially covered by the gum tissue
- An overgrowth of the upper jaw area
- Gum tissue is excessively long or enlarged
- The upper lip is smaller than usual
- Small teeth in comparison to the gum tissue
- Tooth wear may the teeth uneven or appear smaller
All of the factors listed focus on the appearance of the lips, jaw, and teeth; this is because all of those components can directly impact the appearance of your smile and increase the chance of developing what many patients refer to as a “gummy smile.”
Can A Gummy Smile Be Corrected?
Yes, in many cases a gummy smile can be effectively treated by an experienced dentist or periodontist.
If you are concerned with the appearance of your smile, contact our team at Bethesda Dental Implant Center. Our team of dentists can work with you on an individual basis to assess your needs and recommend the most appropriate solution for your smile.
Real Patients, Real Results
Before and after treatment for gummy a gummy smile.
How To Fix A Gummy Smile?
A gummy smile can be treated in a variety of different ways. The type of treatment you receive will depend on factors such as overall dental health, cause of a gummy smile, and budget.
Treatment options for a gummy smile may include one of the following:
- Lip Reposition Surgery: This method may be used as an alternative to jaw surgery. In some cases, a dentist can combine orthodontics treatment and lip repositioning to reduce the appearance of a gummy smile.
- Gum Contouring: One of the most common solutions for a gummy smile is gum contouring. During gum contouring, the excess gum tissue is gently removed to reduce the appearance of a gummy smile.
- Orthodontics: For patients with mild orthodontic issues, a personalized orthodontic treatment can help reposition the teeth and reduce the effects of a gummy smile.
- Dental Crowns or Veneers: Placing crowns or veneers can help elongate the teeth, which makes the gums appear shorter in comparison.
- Cosmetic Botox: Botox can be used to reduce the movement of the upper lip when you smile; as a result, the gums are temporarily covered.
- Jaw Surgery: In advanced cases, especially for patients in moderate to severe jaw placement issues, jaw surgery maybe recommend the realign the jaw and minimize the appearance of a gummy smile
Correct A Gummy Smile in Washington, DC
Are you searching for a solution for a gummy smile? Our team at Bethesda Dental Implant Center offer a complete range of treatment options to correct a gummy smile. To explore your options visit our Washington, DC dentist office for a cosmetic consultation with our team.
If you would like to schedule an appointment, call (301) 200-5222 or request an appointment online.